Sunday 29 July 2018

Cornish pie crust mess, quiche crust just right!!!

Helloooooo everyone!! 

It has been a while... but we’re glad to have some foodie tales lined up. We’ll do our best to keep up with the weekends.

Yesterday, I attempted something I had never done before: make a Cornish pie crust with olive oil instead of butter or margarine.

I ended up making quiche! And a delicious one at that. But that isn’t the amazing part...

The amazing part is how I eventually got to improvise based on the baking knowledge I already had with the disaster before me... just because I was more motivated to make this work than throw each disaster away.

The oil and the flour combo was a mess: oily, and falling apart. That’s when I remembered that all my caterer friends mentioned to me that they used oil for cakes, not pastries!!! So I added eggs to help bind it up. That helped, but the dough would not roll out without breaking up. My Cornish pies were not happening. So without access to muffin tins, I created small dough moulds to hold the beef filling. That’s when the quiche idea was born, because I couldn’t figure out how on earth I’d be able to create a workable lid for the pie. By then I knew without a proper baking mould, the dough could spread out during baking and not really hold the filling. So I baked only the moulds for some minutes, took it out before it was properly cooked and compressed the bases further before adding the beef filling, the milk and eggs and popping them back in the oven.

I was truly astonished and so proud how it turned out; probably you can tell by my write up so far. The crust was light, flaky and delicious. But I realised even more that determination often makes possible the impossible.

I almost gave up and threw away my dough at each disappointing turn...

Really encouraged by this particular baked goodie. ๐Ÿ˜

Now that my excited narration is complete... lol... let’s move on to the video recipe, shall we?


I hope you enjoyed the video and are motivated to try out this recipe! Do let us know what you think of it when you do ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

And till we meet again, do continue to have delicious foodie experiences ๐Ÿ˜



Thank you for reading our post and watching our video today. If you loved it or simply learnt something new, kindly remember to like, comment or share with others.

Warm regards, 

The Ndudu Tales team 

No comments:

Post a Comment